Critical Mass Games Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Resources > Painting & Modelling
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Protolenes a WIP by Toothpick.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothpick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 08:06
Hi,

Thanks all for your comments. Much appreciated as always.

AtB,
Shane
Be nice to your Dice
Toothpick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothpick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 08:45
@Artemis5150
Hi,
I thought i'd talk to you about the airbrushing i did on my Protolene vehicles here, as it's more the right place to do it than in the CMG News forum.
Briefly, i'd never used an airbrush before i did these models, so the airbrush i used was nothing complicated (or expensive) - just a Badger 200-5 single action with a can of compressed air.
Paint wise, i used Iyanden Darksun (GW Foundation paints) for the base coat at a ratio of 50/50 paint and water, over a white undercoat.

"Less is More" is definately true when it comes to using an airbrush, as i found out. Never try to do just one coat - it runs! Badly!
So the base coat was eventually sprayed on in several thin coats.

The spots/mottling was done with Charadon Brown and Bleached Bone (GW).
Again the ratio was around 50/50 paint/water.
I did a spot/mottling effect because it's the simplest scheme i can think of that doesn't require a steep learning curve in how to use an airbrush to it's full potenial.
Again, i found it best to keep the amount of paint that comes out low, and to go over any spots again that didn't come out well enough.
Finally several thin coats of a 50/50 Devlan Mud/water mix was sprayed ove the whole model. This dulled down the base coat, and also settled nicely in the grooves and corners.

That's pretty much how i did it, i've bought myself a double action airbrush (Harder & Steenbeck Ultra) with some Vallejo Air paint to practice with, as i really fancy doing a Fenrir with tiger stripes.

Finally, a few pieces of advise from an airbrush newb.
1. Take your time. In fact slow right down, and definately think about what you're about to do before you do it.
2. Kitchen roll. Have a roll of this stuff handy - actually have 2.
3. Practice anything you intend on doing first on an old piece of cardboard/plasticard first.
4. Rinse out your airbrush frequently. Just as night follows day - it will clog up.

Phew. That's about it.

AtB,
Shane
Be nice to your Dice
pancake2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pancake2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 20:20
i'll have to have a try at air brushing, cheers for the advice for starting out.
Toothpick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothpick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 18:50
And another quick update. Various Khan's.

Hunter Khans

Predator Khans

Scout Khans

AtB,
Shane
Be nice to your Dice
Artemis5150 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Critical Mass Playtester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artemis5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 12:10
Oooh Hey they are nice. Good work mate, very nice.

Love your colour scheme mate. I was tempted by yellow but It seems everyone is going for that with Protolene's.

Hmmmm decisions decisions.
http://talesotthelegend.blogspot.com/
nidalap220 View Drop Down
Critical Mass Playtester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nidalap220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 19:32
lush work mate
Pred Assault Suits ROCK!!!!!
Toothpick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothpick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 08:31
Thanks guys.
I was going to go for a nice blood red colour scheme, but i didn't think it would look too good in a desert.

AtB,
Shane
Be nice to your Dice
nidalap220 View Drop Down
Critical Mass Playtester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nidalap220 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:02
I think red may be ok, Planets with a high Iron level would have redder deserts, like for example Mars. And dont for get that THe MoD use a pink tinted camo for desert paint.
Pred Assault Suits ROCK!!!!!
Toothpick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toothpick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 18:56
Hmmm...been a while since i posted on this topic, so here are a few Ayamies i painted recently.

AtB,
Shane

Edited by Toothpick - 26 Jan 2015 at 19:01
Be nice to your Dice
criticalmass View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criticalmass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 21:11
You've been busy there Shane, they are looking awesome, going to have to have a chat and catch up soon.
However keen you think you are, I am keener!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic